Does index function only work for archives and not source?

Technical support for APBackUp users
tcyr

Does index function only work for archives and not source?

Post by tcyr »

Ideally I would like to use the "sync" function, but I don't want it to overwrite files out on the LAN. I would like to save X number of history copies for each file, but the indexing function only seems to work on the top level archive name and not on the source level filenames. Is this the only way it can work? What do I need to reconfigure? The sync function alone only protects from a disk crash, but does nothing to protect me from deleted files since they will be deleted in the archive as well as soon as the sync task runs.

Basically I am evaluating APbackup and would like to see if I can get it to work similar to the way SmartSync does.

Also, can anyone provide insight into the Update/Add/Refresh options? They all seem to do pretty much the same thing.
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

Yes APBackup can't save history for each file. Only for whole archive. APBackup allows to do incremental backups - save only new and changed files on each start. Also you can use incremental backup with constant (without date format) destination path in this case it like as synk BUT doesn't delete files in the archive if they have been erased in the source.

Refresh = compress/copy only new versions of files already exist in archive.
Update = refresh+ add new files.
Add=add new files and update ALL old files.