"Unable to write ArhTasks.bpd file

Technical support for APBackUp users
KenT

"Unable to write ArhTasks.bpd file

Post by KenT »

APBackup v3.8.5983 has been working well on my Windows Vista/Laptop computer.

However, I have just tried to create a new task, and on clicking “Done” at the end of the New Task wizard, I get the error message: -

“Unable to write to C:\ProgramData\APBackup\ArhTasks.bpd”

The ArhTask.bpd file is currently 15KB in size.

In “Properties” for the ArhTasks.bpd file, the “Read only” box is NOT ticked.

This is similar to, but not identical to, the problem reported by kevin95630 on 11Nov2012.

Can you please tell me how I can overcome this problem. I could re-install the program, but then I will have to re-install the other five actions I already have set up and working.
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Re: "Unable to write ArhTasks.bpd file

Post by support »

Hello

Check if C:\ drive has got enough free space and if user account has access to write to this folder: "C:\ProgramData\APBackup\".
KenT

Post by KenT »

My C: drive has 15.5GB of free space, and I can save files to it. For example, I have just saved an OpenOffice text file to it.

What can I try next?
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

Try to move Arhtasks.bpd and APBackup.ini files to APBackup installation folder (C:\Program files\APBackup\) and run APBackup with "localcfg" flag:

"APBackup.exe localcfg"

In this case APBackup will use ArhTasks.BPD and APBackup.ini stored in folder where APBackup.exe is (C:\Program files\APBackup\) .
KenT

Post by KenT »

The ArhTasks.bpd file is in the C:/ProgramData/APBackup folder, but there is no APBackup.ini file in that folder.
is this the problem really?

Also, can you please explain in more detail your instruction "run APBackup with "localcfg" flag:

"APBackup.exe localcfg"

This is beyond my knowledge of computers.
KenT

Post by KenT »

I have now got my APBackup working again, by doing the following: -

I changed my D:/Programs/APBackup folder to APBackupOld, and then uninstalled APBackup version 3.8.5983, listed in Windows Vista/Control Panel/Programs and Features/Uninstall or change a program.

I deleted the C:/ProgramData/APBackup folder manually, because it was still there.

I then re-installed APBackup into D:/Programs from my original download. I had been reluctant to do this, because I thought all the Tasks I have set up would be lost. However, on opening the new APBackup. all the Tasks are still there, so I can now carry on as before.

Can you please tell me where the data for the Tasks is stored. I thought it was stored in the ArhTasks.bpd folder, but clearly it is not, because I had deleted that folder when I deleted C:/Programdata/APBackup.

Cheers.
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

Hello

APBackup stores tasks configuration in ArhTasks.bpd file:

http://avpsoft.com/blog/2009/06/30/save-apbackup-confi/

It seems that you copied ArhTasks.bpd file into APBackup installation folder before delete it in ProgramData. In this case if APBackup doesn't find ArhTasks.bpd file in the ProgramData folder it copies ArhTasks.bpd file from APBackup installation folder if it exists there to ProgramData folder.