Why is the difference between RGB->CMYK values so large?

Technical support for APFill users
nibly

Why is the difference between RGB->CMYK values so large?

Post by nibly »

Hi,

First off i found your software very interesting since im the one responsible for making decicsion for buying new printers. But what im trying to figure out is why are the conversion from RGB->CMYK so very different from Adobe Photoshops algo. ? Thanks for any response you can give me.

Se this example: R:180, G:187, B:194
APFILL: C:8%, M:5%, Y:2%, K:21%
PHOTOSHOP: C:30%, M:21%, Y:18%, K:0%
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

You can read about APFill CMYK here
http://avpsoft.com/products/apfill/faq/

Q: Why results in CMYK in Photoshop and results in APFill differnt although in RGB they are the same?

A: Photoshop convert RGB to CMYK with self development algorithm. So algorithms in Photoshop and for example in Corel Draw are different. APFill uses formal convertion algorithm. If you want get average CMYK like in your editor, you can take average RGB color in APFill and convert it to CMYK in your graphic editor.

Q: I set RGB color in Photoshop and fill area with it, then I measure color density with APfill. But average RGB in APFill results and RGB color in Photoshop are diffrernt.

A: The fact is that Photoshop and Corel Draw convert colors according to Monitor Color Profile. If you remove Monitor Color profile then results in Photoshop and in APFill will the same.
nibly

Post by nibly »

Thanks for the fast answer! I must admit i didnt read the faq, wich i usually do before asking questions. Guess i forgot it this time.. :oops: But thanks for your help! :)
nibly

Post by nibly »

I forgot to ask you something.. Why is there a question mark (?) in the CMYK tab? shouldnt it just say C for Cyan?
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

nibly wrote:I forgot to ask you something.. Why is there a question mark (?) in the CMYK tab? shouldnt it just say C for Cyan?
Yes, we will fix this bug, thanks.