FTP Transfers stops

Technical support for APBackUp users
firebowl

FTP Transfers stops

Post by firebowl »

Hi!
I am currently evaluating APBackup.
My Problem is that APBackup stops Filetransfer after a few(hundred) MBs and stands with the actual percentage of transfer. I have to stop the task manually. When I restart it, it hangs at an other position.
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

It seems like you have installed firewall which closes FTP data ports. Try to use "Passive mode" on the "Upload to FTP" panel.

Post by Guest »

I am using the Windows 2003 Server built-in firewall.
Will test with passive mode activated.
firebowl

Post by firebowl »

Same problem with ftp transfer set to passive mode.
Transfer stops at 6%.
The backup light in the tray says that the transfer is acive but no data is submited.

Post by Guest »

Try to install last build of APBackup.
also could you temporary disactivate your firewall to check the problem is in it.

Post by Guest »

I have installed the latest build from yeterday.

Think disabling the firewall on a 2003 Server which is connected to the internet isn't a good idea, not even for testing :(
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

Try to examine this article:
http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd/doc/misc/ft ... walls.html
Also try to archive all files to one ZIP file and then transfer it ti FTP server.
firebowl

Post by firebowl »

Nice article.
If i understood the article right, it's not my task to solve the problem.
Maybe I overlooked a feature of APBackup. Is there a possibility to make a configuration to activate a 'keep alive' function? My ftp client does have such a configuration possibility.
I did not watched the clock but the transfer broke off at the same percentage of completion. Think this is really a timeout problem.
The bad thing is that I have no possibility to change the idle time on the ftp server nor on the router or the firewall :(
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

When APBackup transfer files to FTP it open next one port per file so when it open disabled port by Firewall it is waiting response from FTP server but doesn't get it. Try to see log on FTP server and log of your Firewall to figure out which port was denied and open these port intervals (In passive mode).
Also try to pack all files to one archive and transfer it to FTP obviously one file have to transfered throught firewal without problem.
firebowl

Post by firebowl »

I tried to archive the files first an transfer than one zip file.
That worked fine but the transfer stoped at 100%.
The file is transferd completely but the 'after backup task' was not started because the programm stands at 100% of file transfer.
support
AVPSoft support
AVPSoft support

Post by support »

Yes Now I sure this is 100% firewall problem try to configure your Firewall to pass FTP data packets.